Honda Announces the Launch of All New Honda Odyssey - It’s a Redefined Minivan.
Write a Review
Honda Odyssey is a true family helper providing utmost comfort and feasibility for any family to fit in with all their stuff. The car’s launch in the Middle East was announced at a media event. Consumers have shown support to the brand throughout its four generations with over 2.7 million units sold till now. The fifth generation 2018 Odyssey provides the GCC region a lot of forward features and a package of world’s first technologies such as CabinWatch, CabinTalk, 10 Speed AT and Magic Slide 2nd row seats.
The exterior has been given a new look with a refined new styling that has a signature flying wing front grille with Halogen Headlights in lower grades and LED lighting in high end grades. Also, they have an Auto On-Off timer that makes it energy efficient. The Odyssey’s design hides sliding door tracks in the lower side of the rear door with the help of signature lightning bolt beltline that gives an elegant edge. A sophistication is added by the wrap around side and rear glass that portrays a floating roof structure. A sporty and dynamic profile is maintained by the Rear Taillights with Integrated LED Light Bars (standard in all grades).
Another feature in the high end grade is the Height Adjustable Power Tailgate feature that means the tailgate is customizable for drivers of all heights also does the job of protecting the tailgate from damage in places with lower ceiling heights. In addition, the Touring Grade has the Hands-Free Assist feature adding convenience as one can open the tailgate with just a simple foot movement under the trunk.
According to the need, the model fulfills the purpose of being spacious and comfortable and versatile when it comes to interior styling and cabin environment with different convenience features and modern technologies. With the capability of accommodating up to 8 passengers and a huge amount of cargo in different shapes and sizes.
The center seat can be removed and in the Magic Slide 2nd–Row seats can be moved to the centre and forward allowing for an easy access to the 3rd row.
Furthermore, the 2nd Row magic slide seats can be changed into four different positions
- Full Mode: The normal mode when the Odyssey can accommodate 8 passengers in full comfort
- Wide Mode: Here the centre seat can be removed gives way for two outboard seats in their outermost positions, this mode provides a wide centre walkthrough to the third row.
- Super Mode: Removing the center seat it makes it accessing third row easy as the outboard seats slide laterally in five selectable positions with one or two rear facing child seats installed in the second row.
- Buddy Mode: The outboard seats put two people in close proximity and within easier reach of front seat occupants after the center seat can be removed.
The third row features a 60/40 Split Magic Seat configuration folding into the large recess in the cargo floor by pulling a single strap that creates a flat-floor cargo area.
The car has a new and soft touch instrument panel, that has a full color and a wide enough 8-inch Display Audio Touch Screen, Electronic Parking Brake with Brake Hold function, Stop Start button, ventilated seats and a new push button gear selector.
Also, a new 7-inch Digital Driver Information Interface that provides a direct view to the driver makes sure that the details such as phonebook, fuel consumption; remaining distance, select app control, turn by turn direction when using the navigation and even Honda SensingTM (touring grade only) are accessible and easy to read.
Map Lights, Illuminated Vanity Mirrors (Dr and Asst), Ambient Console Lighting, Cruise Control, Rear Window Defroster, Conversation mirror with Sunglass Holder, Driver’s Seat with 8-Way Power Adjustment, Front Passenger’s Seat with 4-Way Power Adjustment, Ventilated Front Seats and Power Windows are standard in all grades. Active Noise Cancelling System, Acoustic windshield and thicker door glass, makes the car the most noiseless car.
A technologically advanced vehicle that has a set of latest features in technology and connectivity. Some of the features on the Touring grade include:
- 8-inch Display Audio Touchscreen: A full colour 8-inch Display Audio Touchscreen offers a great device connectivity and acts like a command centre allowing the driver and the front seat passenger to customize according to preference. It even has the Apple CarPlayTM app, which allows you to choose which audio plays in which zone.
- Honda CabinTalkTM: It allows you to easily talk with the passengers in the 2nd and the 3rd rows seats. For better functionality it uses the speaker systems in the vehicle or the wireless headphones that overrides the headphones that are put into the 3rd row seats of the rear entertainment system.
- Rear Entertainment System: Passengers in the 2nd and 3rd rows can enjoy engaging content on a 10.2-inch screen using the HDMI input to connect major media devices or through the BluRay DVD/CD player. It has many ways to keep kids engaged such as the “How Much FartherTM” app, that is an interesting way to track remaining KMs and travel time to a final destination. A simple press of remote is needed for hours of entertainment as it gives five different selectable themes.
- Premium Audio System: 11 Premium Speakers and a subwoofer for increased durability at higher output, delivering crisp and clear sound.
- Honda CabinWatchTM: Allowing the front passengers to view the rear passengers on the Display Audio Touch Screen is a camera with night vision
- Wireless Charging: Phones supporting wireless charging allows easy charging with the Wireless charging platform in the centre console on the Touring Grade.
- Multi-Angle Rear-view Camera with Dynamic Guidelines: Three different angles for a better view of what is behind when you shift into reverse. The car has smooth guidelines ensuring that you park quickly and safely, even in congested spots.
Safety and Performance
The new Odyssey maintains its longstanding in safety by achieving TOP SAFETY PICK+ from the insurance and a 5 star Overall Vehicle Score from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).
The Advanced Compatibility Engineering (ACE™) Body Structure design by Honda that enhances occupant protection and crash compatibility in frontal collisions. The body structure consists of 59% High Strength Steel and is 34KG lighter than the outgoing model. This improves body stiffness and rigidity by 44%, providing excellent dynamic capabilities.
Apart from revised damper and steering geometry settings the car is also equipped with Multilink Rear Suspension, and a low center of gravity chassis. The Odyssey is a perfect family car and is great for the normal school runs and also provides for great times on those long journeys fully loaded at the weekend.
With Dual Pinion Steering, and Variable Gear Ratio, the Odyssey is easy to park, whilst providing excellent steering feedback on highways.
The Odyssey is equipped with Dual Stage Multiple Threshold Front Airbags, Front Side Airbags, Three Row Side Curtain Airbags, Drivers and Front Passenger's Knee Airbags to ensure maximum safety.
A 3.5-liter direct injected i-VTEC® 24-valve SOHC V6 engine with Variable Cylinder Management™ (VCM™), producing [email protected] and a torque of [email protected] Accompanied with an all-new front wheel drive 10-speed automatic transmission (10AT) with Shift-By-Wire (SBW) and Paddle Shifters.
The 10 AT gives advantage over old 6 speed by having shorter gear ratios for better acceleration response and lower cruising RPM(1560 rpm at 112 km/h compared with 1960rpm for 6 AT) as a result increases fuel economy. The paddle shifters allow you to downshift 2 gears at once, and in the kick down scenario the Odyssey can shift down by 4 gears for a more powerful acceleration
The Touring Grade of the All New Honda Odyssey is equipped with the Honda SensingTM suite of safety and driver-assistive technologies designed to alert you to things you might miss while driving. It includes:
- Collision Mitigation Braking System™ (CMBS™): To help reduce the likelihood of a frontal impact, the Collison Mitigation Braking System™ helps to bring the car to a stop if the system determines that a collision with a vehicle detected in front or a pedestrian is unavoidable. A warning sounds, and if necessary, brake pressure is automatically applied.
- Forward Collision Warning (FCW): It scans the road ahead to warn drivers of a potential collision, and provides visual and audible alerts to prompt the driver to take corrective actions to avoid a potential hazard.
- Lane Departure Warning (LDW): It will detect if the car is straying out of its current lane without the turn signal activated, and provides an alert to prompt the driver to make a correction.
- Road Departure Mitigation System (RDM): Road Departure Mitigation System uses the windscreen-mounted camera to detect whether the car is veering out of its lane. It applies subtle corrections to keep the vehicle in its lane, and in certain situations can also apply braking force and provide a tactile warning.
- Blind Spot Information System: Using radar sensors to automatically detect vehicles in the driver’s blind spot and allowing the driver to know via a warning symbol inside the car.
- Rear Cross Traffic Monitor: While reversing the sensors at the rear corners of the car warns the driver of approaching vehicles from both sides.
- Pedestrian Detection System: The Pedestrian Detection System warns driver of a potential collision with pedestrians with audible and visual warnings. It actively steers the vehicle away to avoid collision with pedestrians and also provides autonomous braking to bring the vehicle to a stop.
- Lane Keeping Assist System (LKAS) ™: It helps to keep the car in the middle of the current lane, by detecting road markings with a monocular camera and making small adjustments to steer the vehicle within the lines.
- Head on Collision System: The Head On Collision System warns drivers of a potential collision with audible and visual warnings. It also uses a tactile warning with autonomous braking as well and vibrates the steering wheel to warn the driver in case he/she is tired.
- Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC): Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC), allows the driver to set a desired speed and following distance from a vehicle detected ahead, allowing the Odyssey to adjust its speed automatically for a safe and comfortable journey.
The All New Honda Odyssey provides a range of colors with the below exterior and interior colors for all the grades:
Exterior Colors: White Diamond Pearl, Lunar Silver Metallic, Crystal Black Pearl, Obsidian Blue Pearl, Copperhead Red Pearl, Forest Mist Metallic (New), Metor Blast Metallic (New)
With the options of Interior Colors including : Beige and Brown (New).
The car is great for a family comfort and convenience that has optimum space for everyone. Great movement for children across the car that has enough place to keep them engaged even during long trips. The car takes care of your need to relax while driving and keeping the kids happy.